Sunday, August 16, 2015

Wilco-Star Wars Album Review

He Wants More.....
 Wilco-Star Wars (8.4/10)
One thing needs to be said before I start this review. This is the worst titled album of 2015, and it is not even close. Alright lets begin. Wilco seemingly went missing in recent years after their great 2011 record: The Whole Love. Frontman Jeff Tweedy did a side project with his son, and other members took the time to continue with other side projects as well. Tweedy's side project was pretty decent, but I was starting to get worried about this band. After 20 years together at it, you have to know that any day a band could just go out and quit. Perhaps this is why I was so happy when I saw Star Wars pop up on Facebook page. The album seemed so silly, so fresh, and it really just seemed like they made a record to have fun. I was really excited to listen to it with all these thoughts rushing through my head. To me Wilco has not missed a beat in their career, but things haven't really felt loosey goosey since pretty much Summerteeth. Perhaps I only say this because I am aware of the tension that was going on in the band, but I really feel like some of that intensity and awkwardness is still really present in the band's tunes. Anyways, before I get off on a complete tangent, I'll just end it here: I was really hyped. Amazingly, Listening to this album only made more excited too. I think it's truly brilliant, and few bands this old could pull something this well made off. Although Star Wars may not be anything particularly new, it certainly still pulls the listener in with extremely odd and interesting instrumentals. These songs breathe new air into a band that has been called a "dad rock" band, or a fedora haven. This album really shows that this band has a lot of different aspects to them, and that is truly beautiful to me. Perhaps what makes Star Wars stick out so much is its individuality, and to think that a band that is 20 years old is still building on their name is truly incredible. Star Wars is certainly not perfect, but sometimes the sweetest surprise is a lolipop rather than a chocolate cake anyway. 

From the get go we hear EKG which very much mimics Yankee Hotel FoxtrotGhost Is Born era Wilco. This track features many meter changes and just super insane glitchy guitar parts. The song is definitely one of the coolest pieces of music the group has made in some time. It truly does feel chaotic, and its probably the band's weirdest track in the last 5 years. More.. is a pretty classic Wilco song with an extremely polished and catchy chorus. This song kind of feels anthemic, and you can't really help but sing along. Random Name Generator follows a simple guitar riff and the vocal delivery from Tweedy can get annoying, but the layering in this track is magnificent. The instruments all coming in together towards the end sounds really powerful, and it is totally refreshing. Joke Explained is too hokey for me, but You Satellite is absolutely mind blowing. This song feels pretty atmospheric with a droneish sounding guitar part, and sloshy drums. The song goes through many changes musically, and it enhances the song tremendously, and it really needs to be heard to be explained. This track is brilliant. Taste The Ceiling is pretty beautiful and relaxed like something off Sky Blue Sky, but it feels a little more friendly with the extra instrumentation. Pickled Ginger is a driving song that really sticks out on the album. It's energy is unrivaled on here, and a lot of these songs don't really move you the way this one does. Where Do I Begin feels like the most sentimental song on here, and I just love how the drums and guitar kind of just solo over the end of the track. The whole thing is gorgeous. Cold Slope and King Of You are definitely my least two favorite songs on here though. These songs really blend into each other, and their low tempo speed really makes these songs a real bummer. There are not bad hooks here, but considering everything I've heard from Wilco before, these tracks are not good in any way. Thankfully, the album closes out with Magnetized. The track is pretty Abbey Road sounding. It's made up of a demonic keyboard part and a great guitar solo. The track seems to tell a love story in an unconventional way too which I certainly appreciate. Overall, The whole thing is pretty entertaining. It's short sweet and that's all that really needs to happen. It makes me excited so I'll always love it, but I cannot forget that there are certainly some misfires here. Overall Wilco stepped up big here, and perhaps it's actually because they are having fun again. I gotta say, whatever happened, I want more. 
BEST SONGS: EKG, More, Random Name Generator, You Satellite, Where Do I Begin, Pickled Ginger, Magnetized, Taste The Celing
WORST SONGS: Joke Explained, Cold Slope, King Of You 


No comments:

Post a Comment